Atheism is really getting popularity these days. The people, who believe in big-bang and other scientific theories, don’t believe in God.
Today about 4.3 percent of the world’s population identifies themselves as atheist, and nearly 12 percent more (a number that is quickly growing) describe themselves as nontheist – non-believers in any deity. The ranks of scientists boast probably the largest concentration of atheists, and many of those have been recognized as among the most brilliant of human beings for their work.
Here’s a look at 5 most famous and brilliant Atheists of all time:
1. Gautam Buddha: Believe it or not ! But, it’s true. The great man ‘Gautam Buddha’, who is considered as God worldwide, never believed in God himself. He always opposed the origin of God, and said, “There is no heaven or hell, God or Almighty in the Universe”. Gautam always insisted on good deeds, and spread the message of piece only.
I also read in the NavBharat Times a year ago that Gautam Buddha always opposed the practices of Hindu religion. Around 376 million people follow Buddhism in today’s World.
2. Thomas Edison: Thomas Alva Edison (February 11, 1847 – October 18, 1931) was an American inventor, scientist, and businessman who developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and a long-lasting, practical electric light bulb.
Edison never believed in God or any Religion. Here are some more quotes by Edison:
“I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious theories of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God.” [Thomas Alva Edison, Columbian Magazine]
My mind is incapable of conceiving such a thing as a soul. I may be in error, and man may have a soul; but I simply do not believe it. [Thomas Edison, Do We Live Again?]
All Bibles are man-made. [Thomas Edison]
So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake… Religion is all bunk. [Thomas Edison]. Read more here……..
3. Richard Dawkins: Clinton Richard Dawkins [b. 1941] is the most prominent scientific atheist in the world today, and was the Simonyi Professor for the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford until his retirement in 2008. Dawkins’ particular brilliance is not so much reflected in radical discoveries in his field of biology, but in his popular science writings like his books The Selfish Gene and The Extended Phenotype. He has been called “Darwin’s Rottweiler” in the press for his strong support of evolution by natural selection. He has also written against creationism in the book The Blind Watchmaker and against theism in A Devil’s Chaplain and The God Delusion, both popular best-sellers.
An engaging and energetic speaker, Dawkins promotes atheism as senior editor and columnist for the Council for Secular Humanism’s Free Inquiry magazine, and as a member of the editorial board of Skeptic magazine since it was founded. In2006 Dawkins founded theRichard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, and in 2007 founded the atheist “Out” campaign, and in 2008 he supported the Atheist Bus Campaign, Britain’s first atheist advertising blitz.
4. Stephen Hawkings: Stephen William Hawking [b. 1942] is the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge, a position once held by Sir Isaac Newton. He is recognized as one of the most creatively intelligent people of the modern scientific age, best known his contributions to the fields of cosmology, quantum gravity and general relativity, as well as for his best-selling popular science books. He developed ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) in graduate school in Cambridge and has survived with the condition longer than was thought possible. he has almost no neuromuscular control and must communicate via a speech synthesizer.
Hawking sometimes comes across quite like a deist in his popular writings, particularly in the book, A Brief History of Time, in which most of the questions posed of the universe also echo questions traditionally asked of God. In that book Hawking expounded upon his “no boundary” model by stating, “If the no boundary proposal is correct, He [God] had no freedom at all to choose initial conditions.”. While he does not publicly profess atheism, Hawking does profess agnosticism.
5. Martyr Bhagat Singh: Bhagat Singh (b. 1907) was an Indian freedom fighter, considered to be one of the most influential revolutionaries of the Indian independence movement. He is often referred to as Shaheed Bhagat Singh (the word shaheed meaning “martyr“).
Bhagat Singh got huge popularity when he sat on hunger strike for more than record 90 days. He was hanged at the age of 23. Singh, as a teenager, became an atheist and had studied European revolutionary movements. Bhagat Singh’s article ‘Why I am an Atheist’ tells us that he was brilliant young Atheist guy.
Please forgive me, if I’ve forgotten to mention any other brilliant Atheist name. Tell me your Top 5 Atheists via comments: