EVM should have “None of the above” option. This is the recommendation made byAssociation for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and the National Election Watch (NEW).
- EVMs should have an option or a button for ?None-of-the-above.
- Votes cast for the ?None-of-the-above? option should also be counted
- In case the ?None-of-the-above? option gets more votes than any of the candidates, none of the candidates should be declared elected and a fresh election held in which all the candidates in this election are not allowed to contest
- In the following elections, with fresh candidates and with a ?None-of-the-above? option, only that candidate should be declared elected who gets at least 50%+1 of the votes cast .
- IF even in this round, the ?None-of-the-above? option gets the highest number of votes cast or none of the candidate gets at least 50%+1 of the votes cast, then the process should be repeated
The full report can be downloaded here
The ADR members also say “This may appear to be a cumbersome and tedious process but it will nudge the entire system in the direction of (a) better representative-ness among the elected representatives by reducing the sectarian effects of vote banks, and (b) encouraging political parties to put up better candidates.”